The Rules of Bureaucracy

Keep these humorous rules in mind the next time you find yourself stuck in a heap of red tape—they can help bring a smile to your face when you’re dealing with strict organizational policies.








  • Preserve thyself.
  • It is easier to fix the blame than to fix the problem.
  • A penny saved is an oversight.
  • Information deteriorates upward.
  • The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time; the last 10% takes the other 90%.
  • Experience is what you get just after you need it.
  • For any given large, complex, hard-to-understand, expensive problem, there exists at least one short, simple, easy, cheap wrong answer.
  • Anything that can be changed will be, until time runs out.
  • There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.