If you’ve ever wondered what the future of senior living looks like, find your way to Union Village in Henderson, Nev., a few miles from the city center of Las Vegas. Announced in April, Union Village is slated to be the first integrated health care and mixed-use development in the country, representing communities of the future that will build bridges between senior living and acute care.
As one of the first communities in the U.S. to be focused around health and wellness, Union Village has set out to be a model of state-of-the-art technology and environmental sustainability featuring a world-classhealthcare center integrated into retail, entertainment and cultural centers as well as a “smart” senior residential community. The $1.5 billion project has been titled Union Village to reach its target market of union members, including trade associations, teachers, government workers, and service industry employees.
The goal at Union Village is to position seniors in a community that focuses on their health and well-being while affording them the pleasures of everyday living in an integrated setting. As more seniors wish to age in place and remain at home, the concept of an integrated healthcare community provides the ideal solution to long-term living.
Anchored by a hospital and senior living retirement community, Union Village will be comprised of four components:
- Union Centre will be the hub of the community and feature the high-tech Rose de Lima Campus operated by St. Rose Dominican Hospitals.
- Union Plaza will be a European-style village featuring 300,000 square feet of retail and 300,000 square feet of medical office space as well as residential apartments and a hotel. Residents and guests will enjoy an outdoor plaza with a multi-screen movie theater, 24-hour fitness and rehabilitation center, restaurants and outdoor cafes.
- Union Place will feature a senior independent and assisted living neighborhood for 1,200 residents, all of which will be built around a clubhouse with four dining accommodations, a spa, theater, lounges, indoor and outdoor swimming pools and bocce courts.
- Union Park will serve as the cultural center of Union Village featuring the Henderson Space and Science Center, a performing arts center and education research centers for healthcare-related fields.
About the Authors
Bonita Patteson is the Director of Marketing for Haskell Senior Living Solutions (HSLS) and John R. Brendel is the Director of Senior Living for Haskell, the pre-eminent firm to turn to for total facility solutions in healthcare and senior living. More information is available online at www.haskell.com/SeniorLivingSolutions.
- Union Village – As one of the first communities in the U.S. to be focused around health and wellness, Union Village has set out to be a model of state-of-the-art technology and environmental sustainability featuring a world-class healthcare center integrated into retail, entertainment and cultural centers as well as a “smart” senior residential community.